China Embassy in U.S.A.

 Since May 30, 2023, the China visa fee for U.S. citizen will increase to USD 185 from original USD 140 (except for J1/J2 visa).   

  Detail Procedure for Application 
   (How to Apply - Processing Time - Visa Fees - Pick-up, etc)
  For Children Born in USA with Chinese Descent Going to China

Ambassador: Mr. Cui Tiankai
Minister: Mr. Li Kexin
Address: 3505 International Place, NW, Washington, D.C. 20008, USA
Tel: +1-202-4952266
Fax: +1-202-4952138
Email:  chinaembpress_us@mfa.gov.cn
Website: http://us.china-embassy.org/eng/

Consular Office of Chinese Embassy in U.S.A.

Address: 2201 Wisconsin Avenue, NW, Suite 110, Washington, D.C. 20007, USA
Telephone Consulting Service: +1-202-7908746, 8551555
Fax: +1-202-5889760
Email: visaoffice.dc@gmail.com
Office Hours: 09:30-12:30, 13:30-15:00, Monday-Friday (except holidays)

Consular Districts of the Embassy/Consulates in U.S.A

Embassy/Consulate Consular Jurisdiction
Embassy of PRC in Washington DC Washington DC, Delaware, Idaho, Kentucky, Maryland, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia, Wyoming, Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Texas, Puerto Rico
Consulate General of PRC in Chicago Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan Minnesota, Missouri, Wisconsin
Consulate General of PRC in New York Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont
Consulate General of PRC in Los Angeles Arizona, Hawaii, New Mexico, Southern California, Pacific Islands
Consulate General of PRC in San Francisco Alaska, Nevada, Northern California, Oregon, Washington

Major Visa Types & Requirements


Tourist (L) It is issued to those who comes for tourism. Group L is available for tourists who travel on a group basis.
Business (M) It is issued to those who intend to go there for commercial and trade activities.
Noncommercial Visit (F) It is issued to those who intend to go to China for exchanges, visits, study tours and other activities.
Employment/Work (Z) It is issued to an alien who comes for a post, employment, or commercial performance.
Student (X)

It is issued to foreigners who go to study in China.
X1 is issued to those who intend to stay for a period of more than 180 days, while X2 is issued to those who intend to stay for a period of no more than 180 days.

Family Reunion (Q) It is issued to those who are family members of Chinese citizens or of foreigners with Chinese permanent residence and intend to go to China for family reunion, or to those who intend to go there for the purpose of foster care.
Q1 grants a stay of more than 180 days, while Q2 allows a stay of no more than 180 days.
Private Visit (S) it is issued to family members of foreigners with work Z and student X in China or visit for other private affairs.
S1 is for immediate family members, and S2 is for all family members including spouses, parents, sons, daughters, spouses of sons or daughters, brothers, sisters, grandparents, grandsons, granddaughters and parents-in-law.
Transit (G)

It is issued to a foreign citizen who is to transit through China on his or her way to a third country (or region).

Talent (R) It is issued to aliens who are high-level talents or whose skills are urgently needed in China.
Hong Kong SAR & Macao SAR Visa 1. American citizens are exempt from Hong Kong Visa if they go to Hong Kong for visit or sightseeing and they stay at Hong Kong for not more than 90 days.
2. American citizens are exempt from Macao Visa for up to 30 days.

How to Apply -- Processing Time -- Visa Fees -- Pick-up

10-year China Visa for US Citizens

The Chinese Embassy in the USA accepts 10-year multiple-entry (L / M / Q2 / S2 type) and 5-year multiple entry (X1 type) visa applications. The required documents for the above-mentioned entry permits are basically the same as before. However, applicants please note that the remaining validity of passport should not be less than one year. Each allowed stay duration of ten-year L / M type shall be 60 days, 90 days for the S2 type, and 120 days for the Q2 type. The stay of Q2 type can be 180 days at most upon the applicant’s reasonable request. If the applicant gets a new passport but has a valid Chinese entry permit on the old passport, he or she can travel with both passports provided that the personal details on both papers are exactly consistent. The fee for a 10-year entry permit is 140 dollars.

2023 Holiday Schedule of the Embassy in Washington D.C. 

To observe the public holidays of PRC and the United States, the consular office will be closed on the following festivals in 2023.

Festivals Date Day
New Year's Day January 2 Monday
Chinese New Year January 23 - 24 Monday - Tuesday
May Day May 1 Monday
Dragon Boat Festival June 23 Friday
Independence Day July 4 Tuesday
US Labor Day September 4 Monday
Mid-Autumn Day September 29 Friday
Chinese National Day October 2 - 3 Monday - Tuesday
Thanksgiving Day November 23 - 24 Thursday - Friday
Christmas Day December 25 Monday
 Please contact Embassy of U.S.A. in PRC if Americans are in problems there.

 Recommended Tours:
China Tours from USAFrom New YorkFrom WashingtonFrom Los AngelesFrom SeattleFrom Chicago,
From DetroitFrom HoustonFrom San FranciscoFrom HawaiiFrom Boston

 Other Chinese Embassies in North America:
Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, Nassau, the Bahamas, Ottawa, Canada
- Last updated on May. 18, 2023 by Kate Liu -
Questions & Answers on China Embassy in U.S.A.
Asked by Kexin Zhang from UNITED STATES | Aug. 14, 2023 15:17Reply
birth certificate
I am a Chinese citizen and holding passport. I live in Hawaii and got married and now applying a GREEN CARD, but the immigration office needs to see my Chinese birth certificate which I had lost it. Is it possible to get a replacement from your office in United States.

Answers (1)
Answered by Nathan | Aug. 15, 2023 00:14

It is suggested to contact China Embassy in the USA directly as this is only a tourism website offering some related information.
Asked by Stefany from CHINA | Aug. 09, 2023 23:11Reply
Student visa
I have Bolivian passport, can I change my M type to X1 in the Chinese embassy located in Washington? What documents do I need and the costo please
Answers (1)
Answered by Andrew | Aug. 10, 2023 00:49

If you have residence proof in the US, you can have a try but generally the rejection rate is pretty high in a thrid country. Generally, it costs USD 90 for X1 visa.
Asked by Don from USA | May. 18, 2023 10:38Reply
Driving my personal car from Kyrgyzstan to Pakistan via China
What are the requirements for driving my Kyrgyzstan registered vehicle from Kyrgyzstan through Western China to Pakistan?
Answers (2)
Answered by Don | May. 18, 2023 10:40

I already have a valid Chinese Visa. I need to know any other requirements.
Answered by Rubin | May. 18, 2023 20:19

To drive in China, you need a Chinese driver licence. You also need to apply for a Chinese licence plate and a Chinese vehicle licence for your car.
Asked by Yishan Jiang | May. 04, 2023 19:13Reply
Certified true copy of Chinese passport

I hope this email finds you well. I would like to inquire if I can get a certified true copy of my Chinese passport as one of the required documents for filing tax in the US? Thanks in advance!

Answers (1)
Answered by Polly | May. 06, 2023 00:18

It is suggested to contact US tax department to confirm if it is available.
Asked by You Juan from NOW IN CHINA | Apr. 15, 2023 22:18Reply
I have US passport,now in China. Can I renew my visa within China
Answers (1)
Answered by Scott | Apr. 16, 2023 23:26

It's possible but not guaranteed. Anyway, you can make your efforts at local enter and exit administration office.
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)